end up with black screen and non-functional keyboard.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:21:35AM +0200, Ale?? Dole??ek wrote:
> Debian Bug Tracking System napsal(a):
>
> >Sorry, but this is nowhere near a critical bug report, not even important.
> >You still have access to a regular text console from which you can
> >correct the situation.
> >
> >Also, we consider configuration of X outside the scope of the installer.
> >Please ask for help on the debian-user list. If it turns out there is a
> >bug with Xorg, please file a bug against the appropriate package (without
> >inflated severity.
> >
> >Closing this report as the installation itself was apparently successful.
> >Thanks for submitting your report.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >FJP
> >

> Hello,
>
>  the problem is X server configuration, but installer says that you
> would like to "hear" about ANY
> problems - even about successful install.
>
> And the high severity - I have choosen it according 'reportbug'
> description "breaks the whole system".
> In my opinion, the system IS unusable, despite the solution is just one
> # in config file. And the
> console (system) is accessible only via recovery.
>
> Please try to take regular user's point of view. She will install the
> system,  reboot, see  messages
> scrolling the console window and end up with black screen and
> non-functional keyboard - simply dead.
>
> Just thought you are interested. Sorry for bothering.
>
> AD

I do feel simpathy for Ales Dolecek and all other users that
end up with black screen and non-functional keyboard.

I think that telling them, that they should contact their video hardware
manufacture for support, will be a good thing.
And reassign the BR to xdebconfigurator.

Another good thing would be telling the user to install again
and not install the desktop software (to avoid the autostart of X.org ).

HtH
GSt