Re: selfmade debian-cd is unable to mount root fs on "unknown-block (1,0)"

Hello,

as first, thanks for your answer:

Frans Pop schrieb:

First off, even though the name of this list is debian-boot, it is not about solving boot problems, but rather about developing Debian's installer. You may get more help if you ask on debian-user.
That's in fact my problem. I tried to build my own netinst-iso including
the needed module for the Highpoint 1820 RAID-Controller.
I never reached the state, installing Debian to that machine.
I'm compiling the kernel for my own netinst.iso on another 64bit-Intel Xeon-Machine.

I'll assume that with "unable to mount root" you're talking about the reboot after the installation.
what options must a kernel-config include to be functional for booting
netinst ?

Well, something seems to be missing. The only thing that can tell you what

is looking very closely at the boot messages: is the driver actually loaded, are the partitions recognized? What do you use for /dev: static or udev or something? Is udev active?
What wants the netinst-iso to use?

We can only offer very limited support for custom installation images. You don't say what version of the installer you based your image on (Sarge, Etch or daily). If it is Etch or daily, your best bet is probably using the rescue mode of the installer, enter a chroot for your root filesystem and try to find what the problem is.
I tried to use etch for amd64.

Thanks for your time and patience

Sven Schumacher

--
Institut für Werkstoffkunde  Telefon  +49(0)511/762-4322
z.Hd. Sven Schumacher        Mobil    +49(0)176/23951713