Re: RFC: combined i386/amd64 install images

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:47:11AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> I have proposed this before but only now that amd64 has been added to
>> Debian can this realy be done (soon):
>>
>> It would be great if the Debian Installer for i386 could also install
>> amd64.
>>

>> Here is how it should work and what needs patching:
>>
>> 1) Grub detects a 64bit cpu and loads a 64bit kernel and a ramdisk
>> with 64bit modules as default (if it finds one).
>
> No thanks.  I would want to be able to choose to run 32bit on a 64bit
> cpu.  Besides grub isn't used when booting from the install cd.
> isolinux/syslinux is.

Sorry, I ment isolinux. And do you realy want 32bit on a 64bit cpu for
etch?

I also think that the kernel choice is not important here. Booting a
64bit kernel gives the option of choosing 32/64bit later in the
installer. If you want to ask that question or default to 32bit
this isn't the place to ask questions. Picking a 64bit kernel for
64bit hardware should be save at this point.

>> 2) The ramdisk (apart from 64bit modules) is the same for 32bit and
>> 64bit kernels. All userland is 32bit.
>
> That might work.
>
>> 3) If a 64bit kernel is running the architecture is set to amd64,
>> otherwise i386. This could also be a question, probably in
>> choose-mirror, but with low priority. Should that be in archdetect?
>> cpudetect?
>
> It should be something always asked I believe.  I still think having the
> images seperate make sense, since it keeps the images smaller, and no
> one is likely to use both options at once anyhow.

The size increase is small and the usability factor is huge. I'm sure
a lot of people do have both i386 and amd64 architectures and they
would only need on CD for install instead of two.

I'm not saying the single arch CDs should be abandoned. This could be
purely an extra image. In that case it might be prudent to also add
ppc. All 3 archs as netinst flavour should fit nicely on a single CD.

Also consider dvd distributors. They could make a 4 DVD set for i386
and amd64 instead of two 3 DVD sets.

>> 4) choose-mirror filters the mirror.Masterlist for i386 or amd64 and
>> sets -ai386 or -aamd64 for debootstrap.
>>
>> 5) Kernel selection picks and lists kernels from i386 or amd64.
>>

>> The size increase for the install images would be an extra kernel and
>> initrd on all images and a full set of base debs for the netinst/full
>> CD.
>
> So not insignificant.  Why make the image larger when most people will
> only want one of the two anyhow?

The size increase for a single image is small. But you also save the
other image.

Currently I need both, one i386 CD and one amd64 cd. For etch this
would cut my CD burning of D-I in half. A lot of Debian users have
more than one computer.

MfG
        Goswin