Re: Problems with installation

On Thursday 23 March 2006 16:04, Partha Pratim Ghosh wrote:
> 	I wish to install Debian Sarge and I have the 14-CD set. The
> installation programme recognises my DVD-drive, but does not recognise
> the SATA drives. In the phase where it checks for partition table, it
> provides me with the partition table for the Seagate hdd only.

Unfortunately SATA is not very well supported by the kernel included in
Sarge (2.6.8). Good SATA support was only implemented around 2.6.12 and
some parts of it (like SATA ATAPI CD/DVD support) are still being worked
on.

At the moment there are two options you could consider:
- use the Beta2 installation CD images on [1] and install Etch
- use an unofficial image created by Kenshi Muto [2] which has more recent
  kernels and related software backported for Sarge and install Sarge

With the last option you can still use the 14 CDs you have as a package
repository.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/