Debian Boot Issues with Dell PERC RAID / initramfs timeout issue on post-install boot

I'm having an issue with initramfs and the 2.6 series kernels where I install Debian Etch from the CD installer, and reboot, leading to the dreaded sda1 not found errors.

It looks like the initramfs loads most of the drivers needed, but attempts to mount the filesystem on a volume attached via the megaraid driver before the driver loads.

Sure enough, 30 seconds after the initramfs complains of no root fs and quits to a shell, the megaraid driver announces that the driver is now properly loaded, and I am then able to mount the root fs manually.

Is there a workaround for this so I can install successfully?

I think there just needs to be a configurable timeout to let the drivers load before the initramfs looks for the root device.

Does such a flag already exist that I could pass in the kernel boot arguments from grub?

Unless I can resolve this issue, I don't think I can easily install to a Dell PowerEdge 2850.

Regards,

Satadru