Re: eth0 not coming up after reboot

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:32:07PM +0000, Mitchell Laks wrote something
like:
> Hi,
>
> I did a install of etch using the latest release installer. It went nicely. I
| have one comment and a related question.
>
| As soon as I rebooted into my system after the upgrade to sid I noticed that
> the eth0 was not comming up!
>
> So I had to
> su
> and do
> ifup eth0.
>
> Then I rebooted again to check
> and again needed to do
> ifup eth0.
>
> What was wrong?

Euh, for some reason was 'ifup eth0' not called (not activated).

> I looked in /etc/network/interfaces and saw all this "cruft"
> (i hope that is not a bad word).

They are called "stanzas", see `man interfaces` for more information.
(When I understood you correct, then was "cruft" a good word :- )

> I saw
> ########################
> # This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
> # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
> mapping eth0
>        script grep
>        map eth0
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.x.x.x
> ##########################
>
> instead of what I usually see
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> etc
>
> So I simply commented out the "cruft" replaced by good stuff
> and rebooted and all was well.
> What was the problem? What does this new stuff 'add' and what wentwrong?

Frankly my dear, I can only guess (and ask further questions).

Please provide the output of

 uname -r

from the computer we are talking about.

Cheers