eth0 not coming up after reboot, highmem not enabled in kernel

Hi,

I did a install of etch using the latest release installer. It went nicely. I
have two comments and 1 related question.

I installed and immediately upgraded to sid. (naughty me).
I think of using the latest installer as the best way to get to my preferred
desktop :).

2 Issues that I noticed, and 1 separate related question.

1) As soon as I rebooted into my system after the upgrade to sid I noticed that
the eth0 was not comming up!

So I had to
su
and do
ifup eth0.

Then I rebooted again to check
and again needed to do
ifup eth0.

What was wrong?

I looked in /etc/network/interfaces and saw all this "cruft"
(i hope that is not a bad word).

I saw
########################
# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping eth0
       script grep
       map eth0

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.x.x.x
##########################

instead of what I usually see

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
etc

So I simply commented out the "cruft" replaced by good stuff
and rebooted and all was well.
What was the problem? What does this new stuff 'add' and what wentwrong?

2) I have 2GB of ram and the installed kernel has no highmem support
   I had to recompile my own kernel to get support for my RAM.
dmesg
Warning only 896MB will be used. Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel

 I would have preferred if the default kernel would enable highmem. Is that
possible.

3) Also, I do have a way cool dual core amd64 processor here to play with.
On the other had I really should not futz around too much with chroots and stuff
and would like to use all the
binary drivers I need for graphics development
as well as debian free software so I think (???)  I don't want to shift over to
amd64 arch as yet.

Thus I need ooffice and I need nvidia drivers for 6600GT video card for opengl.

So what debian  kernel package with highmem can i select.
will linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7-smp work on my system?
I prefer using a debian kernel for ease of use.

For instance Last night
i compiled the new kernel by
downloading a fresh linux-2.6.15-6 tarball and
copying over the debian /boot/config-2.6.15-1-486 to /usr/src/linux and
modifying by selecting the
Processor Family Opteron/athlon64/hammer/k8
and enabled multiprocessor support
and configured  high memory support 4GB
and otherwise left it as debian had it for the 486.
Thus i see
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MK8=y
and alot of stuff like
CONFIG_X86_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CALIBRATE_DELAY=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG64=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y

Ok. So what does it mean. Am I just using a 32bit kernel with selection of amd64
dual processor?
Where can I read more about this?

Thanks
Mitchell