Re: x86, linux26 not detecting RAID controller (but 2.4 kernel does)

--- I wrote:

> When I boot a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with the current Sarge install
> CD, if I type "linux26" at the boot prompt, the installer won't
> autodetect the RAID controller (Dell PERC 4e/Di). Funny thing
> though; if I just hit Enter and boot the 2.4 kernel, the RAID
> gets detected.
>
> BTW, the 'e' in 4e/Di indicates PCI Express x8, and the 'D' is
> for dual-channel (dual channels to the SCSI chipset I think).
>
> Is this a bug in the Debian Installer?

I forgot to mention, this is with the netinst CD.

Incidentally, I see the same behavior with both 3.1 r0a and
3.1 r1a.

BTW, not sure if this is important but when the installer
(using the default 2.4 kernel) *does* see the RAID, the
screen dialog says "Detecting network hardware" at the top.
(Right after that it prompts me to choose my primary network
interface.)

When trying to boot via linux26, I don't see anything in
/var/log/syslog mentioning RAID, SCSI, or PERC, though I do see:

kernel: PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 0000:00:1f.1

---John