Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

> > this actually simplify things, given the number of languages which is
> > covered by freefont. If we're using freefont also to display Cyrillic,
> > Christian just needs to comment the following line from
> > "FreeSans-strip":
>
> Hmm. Shouldn't we talk to ru, uk, be, sr, etc. translators before
> switching to freefont for Cyrilic? IIRC they were the ones that asked us
> to use Dejavu in the first place.

yes, but we should also consider that the following glyphs are used by
Cyrillic
translations and are not in current (2.1-2) DejavuSans ttf files:

<U04a2> 3 times in kk.po
<U04a3> 1118 times in kk.po
<U04ae> once in kk.po
<U04af> 1059 times in kk.po
<U04b0> once in kk.po
<U04b1> 422 times in kk.po
<U04d8> 5 times in kk.po
<U04d9> 199 times in kk.po
<U04e8> 15 times in kk.po
<U04e9> 734 times in kk.po
<U2116> 38 times in bg.ko

Well, considering that #349511 (new version [2.2] available) was filed
23 Jan 2006 which is almost two months ago I assume there's not much
activity going on with the package.

OTOH, Christian is always very fast if we need anything and he's
taking care of freefont; besides that he's obviously very close to
the needs of the debian installer.

The best would be if both freefont and dejavu where "competing" for being the
best
font covering the largest number of languages: a project like g-i would fit
perfectly
for such a target.

regards,
Davide

Tiscali ADSL 4 Mega Flat
Naviga senza limiti con l'unica Adsl a 4 Mega di velocità a soli 19,95 € al mese!
Attivala subito e hai GRATIS 2 MESI e l'ATTIVAZIONE.
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/banner/middlepagetracking.html?c=webmailadsl&r=http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/sa/4flat_tc/&a=webmail&z=webmail&t=14