Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

On Thursday 16 March 2006 02:11, Davide Viti wrote:
> I'm considering to strip font files specifying the ranges to include
> rather than the ranges that we want to exclude, what do you think about
> this?

For freefont exclusion (ranges we know are covered by other fonts and
ranges for which we know there are no translations (yet)) is maybe more
logical (probably easier to document too); for other fonts inclusion
definitely. I'll leave it to you though to decide what works best.

> removing dejavu (or freefont if the new dejavu can cover everything),
> would simplify and reduce overhead (basic latin glyphs, as you
> mentioned above, are not stripped to preserve consistency: i.e. at
> least u0:u7f = 128 glyphs are included in each and every ttf file
> including bold/oblique)

Hmm. Not sure we need to include basic latin for e.g. arabic and indic
fonts. Guess that depends on how different the included characters are
from freefont (both style and size should be considered).
I've no problem with leaving them in initially though.

Next step is probably creating an iso that supports the font switching
from localechooser to see how that behaves. I can probably do that quite
quickly when you're ready with font tarballs.