Re: preseeding d-i mirror/suite

On Thursday 09 March 2006 03:35, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 03:24, Mike Fogel wrote:
> > The installer will then try to download a file from our apache mirror
> > from DOCUMENT_ROOT/dists/**sarge**/Release.  (no asterisks)  But it's
> > not there... it's over in DOCUMENT_ROOT/dists/**stable**/Release.
>
> Your mirror needs symlinks for the codenames:
> ln -s stable sarge
> ln -s testing etch
> ln -s unstable sid

Thinking about this again (and how I do it myself), it would be a lot
better to mirror on the codenames and create symlinks for the suites.
The advantage is that when Debian releases, your "stable" symlink will
still point to "sarge", and so the release will only happen for you
internally after _you_ change the release. This gives you a bit more
control.

With the current setup (mirroring stable and creating a sarge symlink),
stable will change to etch as soon as Debian releases and so the sarge
symlink will become incorrect which could lead to unexpected behavior.