Re: Sarge Installation not bootable

Hello Frans,

Am 2006-02-21 20:34:05, schrieb Frans Pop:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 18:36, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > first I have tried to make an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' which was
> > working fine on both WS but since I have gotten a kernel upgrade
> > I had to reboot...  Oops...
> >
> >         "No operating system. Please insert system disk."
>
> The debian-boot list, despite its name, is not about boot problems, but
> about development of the installation system.

I know... see later...

> I have absolutely no idea how your boot got damaged. The most likely cause
> would be an update of lilo (through the backports you're using?).
> lilo often needs to be run again _before_ rebooting after an upgrade...

I was running lilo.

> > On both machines!  I have used the netinstall 3.1r0a.
>
> Huh? Are you saying you did a dist-upgrade using a netinstall? I very much
> wonder how that would work...

First I have made the dist-upgrade and it failed.
Then again, I have reinstalled the whole thing using the Netinstall-CD.

> > OK, now, since the netinstall does not offer a "rescue" system,
>
> Although it does not have a full rescue system, it can still be used for
> rescue; see the Debian Installer FAQ. Also note that the Etch version of
> the installer does have a rescue option again (though it works totally
> different from Woody's rescue option).

OK, I will try to get the Etch-CD but must find the link to it.

> > OK, new installation and now at the end I was looking on VT3 <F3> and
> > have seen, that at the end of the installation (writing lilo), the
> > inataller was not able to find the partitions anymore, but THE ARE in
> > /proc visible.
>
> Please file an installation report [1] and attach the syslog and partman
> files from /var/log (gzipped).

OK, I will do that.

> Another option is to switch to VT2, do 'chroot /target' and try to install
> lilo or grub manually before rebooting. That might provide some more
> detailed error messages.

OK.

> > Oh yes, i am using for installation Linux 2.4.27 but personaly Linux
> > 2.4.(31|32).
>
> So you are using a customized installer? Or are you just installing custom
> kernels during the installation? Anyway, can you reproduce the problems

Just the one provided with Debian.

> using the standard Sarge kernel?
> We can only support if you use "pure Sarge".

I know. I have allways the Debian-Kernel installed for backup and
security, but compile my own optimized (and faster booting) one.

> Cheers,
> FJP

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi