Re: [g-i] Indic scripts

> in the specific case of freesans fonts, oblique is slanted, while italic
> is slanted and cursive; with other fonts, i noticed the oblique being
> more slanted than italic, while not cursive.
> We should evaluate how much space it's possible saving up if italic ttf
> files are removed, and also if it makes sense italic-izing non-latin
> alphabets.
> I really would like to see the miniiso becoming smaller that 10 megs and
> the g-i being able to run with 64 megs of ram only.

After discussion with Davide on IRC, I have uploaded a new version of
ttf-freefont in unstable with the following changes:

ttf-freefont (20060126-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Add self to Uploaders to be sure that someone officially "takes care"
    of the package while Konstantinos is away
  * New upstream version. Closes: #350517
  * Fix FTBFS by forcing scripts called from debian/rules to be executable
    Closes: #352974
  * Rewrite the udeb package description (shorten it and remove comma)
  * Make the debhelper dependency consistent with DH_COMPAT in debian/rules
  * Strip Hindi range in the udeb...
  * ...but do *not* strip Hindi/Bengali/Gurmukhi ranges as g-i intends to
    FreeSans for them

 -- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:23:33 +0100

As you notice, this is somewhat me taking the package over, given that
Konstantinos announced he is not available for a few months because of
military duties.....

I'l try to take care of the package as well as possible but I'll need
help for that probably as I'm not that deeply competent with
font-related issues. Someone really maintaining it, even if not a
DD, would be nice....and I can act as a sponsor.

The last two bits in the changelog may be confusing:

I indeed added the code to strip Hindi range from FreeSans fonts, but
it is currently commented. Same for Punjabi range and Bengali range.