Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

> > Yes. But you are not taking into account the Freefont _is already
> > stripped_. So there _should_ be no overlap from Freefont to Indic
> > fonts.
> >
> > If there is an overlap, either the stripping of Freefont was not done
> > correctly, or some other font that is "higher" in the fontconfig list
> > also provides characters from Indic scripts.
>
> It seems to me that we are talking about too many "if"-s. I know for a
> fact that we had overlaps for the image you build in Spain (with vt2
> fix) as indic scripts were reported to look messy in the initial
> screenshots [1].

Sure. The only problem is that you conclude that the overlap must be with
FreeSans, while I say it is probably not FreeSans as that is already
stripped. So, if you spot overlap, you should really also make the effort
to find out where exactly it comes from.
And so far you've failed to do so.

Blindly stripping fonts is not the right way to go about this. I'd first
like to see a full inventory which fonts include which font ranges.
The tools Davide found yesterday will help with that.