Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

> (almost ?) all indic scripts are affected by this, AFAICT. hi, pa, bn
> would have to be treated separately, like we did for ja, zh_*, ko...

What exactly do you mean by "treat separately"?

> This happens because we hardcoded that the default font is freefont.

Yes. But you are not taking into account the Freefont _is already
stripped_. So there _should_ be no overlap from Freefont to Indic fonts.

If there is an overlap, either the stripping of Freefont was not done
correctly, or some other font that is "higher" in the fontconfig list
also provides characters from Indic scripts.

What I'm asking for is someone to research that. Knowing which glyphs have
problems would help with that.

Only if there is an overlap _between_ fonts used for Indic scripts, will
we absolutely need to change the default font when a language is
selected.

General question: starting with an UTF-8 encoded string/file, what is the
easiest way to get the hex UTF-8 codes of the characters in it?