Re: [g-i] Italic and bold mixed with regular fonts even if only one font is used

Eddy Petrişor wrote:
Hello all,

During the weekend I had about an half an hour to do some more work on
the G-I fonts.

I have been trying to see if font reduction would be possible without
regression. I moved from /usr/share/fonts/truetype everything except
freefont and went a few steps through the installation (of course
after a font cache refresh) and I found that with the image from the
22nd of Jan I got mixed glyph types - italic and regular and,
sometimes, bold and regular.

I was under the impression that the current fonts in the mini iso were
regular only.

Attilio,do you have any idea why this oddity happens?

I suppose you've used a GTKDFB 2.0.9 based miniiso, right? then, no wonder fonts are messed up the way you said, as GTKDFB 2.0.9 is REALLY buggy if compared to GTKDFB 2.8.x and this is a long-time-known issue. I suggest you and all the testers of fonts to completly forget GTKDFB 2.0.9 and do experiments using GTKDFB 2.8.10 (or whatever 2.8.x/2.9.x you like) only. GTKDFB 2.8.x is a much more reliable testbench and, while you experiments with fonts, we may even able to find new bugs that could be corrected before merging into GTK mainline (there are no plans for backporting to GTKDFB 2.0.9 the many patches that were lately produced for GTKDFB 2.8.x)

ciao

Attilio