Partitioning not working

Hi,

I'm still having difficulties with installing debian, currently having
difficulties with partitioning the disk.  The problem is present when using
the daily builds (2.6-kernel + corresponding initrd), but I'd guess the
problem is within one of the partman udebs, or some mismatch between this and
the current kernel.

The installer is supposed to wipe the disk and install a single ext3 partition
(+swap).  The installer successfully wipes the disk, partitions it.  When it
tries to create the ext3 filesystem, it fails after spending some time
apparently working.  I believe its failing when trying to create the journal
through tune2fs, having successfully formatted the partition as ext2.

When the installer fails, it displays the following dialogue box:
  "The ext3 file system creation in partition #1
of /dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/disc failed."

The file /var/log/syslog contains:

Jan 17 22:19:24 partman: /sbin/tune2fs: No such file or directory while trying
to open /dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/part1^M
Jan 17 22:19:24 partman: Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
Jan 17 22:19:24 partman: mke2fs 1.39-WIP (31-Dec-2005)
Jan 17 22:19:24 partman: Could not stat /dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/part1
--- No such file or directory
Jan 17 22:19:24 partman:
Jan 17 22:19:24 partman: The device apparently does not exist; did you specify
it correctly?

The devfs has the following structure:

/dev/ide
/dev/ide/host4
/dev/ide/host4/bus1
/dev/ide/host4/bus1/target5
/dev/ide/host4/bus1/target5/lun0
/dev/ide/host4/bus1/target5/lun0/part
/dev/ide/host0
/dev/ide/host0/bus1
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part
/dev/ide/host-1
/dev/ide/host-1/bus1
/dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target
/dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0
/dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/cd
/dev/ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/disc

(which doesn't make much sense to me)

Using fdisk, the partition table was correct.  It had a single primary
partition ("/dev/hda1" in old money), and an extended partition with a single
logical partition ("/dev/hda5") as swap.  The machine also has a cdrom drive
(I guess as /dev/hdc).

Is this likely to be a transitory problem or something worth investigating?

Cheers,

Paul.

PS. I've copied /var/log/{debconf-seed,partman,syslog} to
  http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~paul/Debian-installer/partition-problem.tgz