Re: [powerpc-floppies] Help Needed : root.img too big (1489688, should be 1474560).

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:55:51AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hi, ...
>
> I am requesting, on behalf of the powerpc oldworld floppies users, some help
> to solve the problem of too big root.img.
>
> The file is 1489688 bytes, while the floppy size is 1474560, so it is 15128
> bytes to huge. I had a quick look at the floppy pkg-lists, but i couldn't see
> anything obvious to move around to another floppy, maybe the the socket
> modules could move to the net-drivers floppy or something, but that is about
> it, and i think socket-modules is empty right now anyway.
>
> So, it would be very nice if someone with knowledge of the floppies would take
> a look and see where we can gain those 15128 bytes, maybe removing one of the
> console maps (we have usb and at, but oldworld only have adb keymaps, not sure
> what it maps to though), and also add the bit of code Frans mentioned the x86
> floppies already have for failing if the image size is bigger than a floppy. I
> searched for it in config/i386, but failed to find anything that did something
> like this.

Hi Sven,

here is a patch against installation-locale, it saves about 35kB in the
udeb by dropping definitions for transliteration.  Since we try hard to
include all glyphs, these definitions are surely useless.

Denis