Re: How to run base-config in the first stage

On Sunday 08 January 2006 15:46, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Mmmh,  as  far as I   understand it  seems  that  only  some parts  of
> base-config have been moved into d-i, for example the apt setup
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs04.html#preseed-apt
>
> has the "d-i" prefix in the preseed lines, while account setup
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs04.html#preseed-account
>
> still  as "passwd"   prefix,  that I   think  means that  it won't  be
> considered by d-i,  but rather by  base-config when it  runs passwd in
> the second stage.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes you are :-)
There really is no such thing as base-config anymore. Instead some items
are installed in a chroot to the target system from the udebs and the
preseeding is "carried over" to the regular packages in the chroot.

For tasksel and exim I'm sure this is the case; for user-setup it may well
be that the "passwd" prefix should be changed to a "d-i" prefix. I'm not
sure though. Christian?

After you reboot, all you will get is the login prompt (either console or
display manager). No more base-config.