Re: Help problem installing

On (04/07/05 21:49), Gerald Tyree wrote:
> Problem
>
> Trying to install Debian/GNULinux 3.0r5 Woody Official i386 Binary. When I
> get to "installing Base system" I get an error saying "Can't download
> adduser" and then it continues and I get an error message "Base Installation
> Error  debootstrap exited with an error  (return value 1).
>
> I have a former windows system and am using the complete old disk not saving
> any windows system, I did install an older version of "Red Hat" (1999) and
> then am trying to install the Debian over the old Redhat.  The Redhat seemed
> to install OK and did it's own portioning.
>
> I have tried and retried the Debian for weeks off and on.  What am I doing
> wrong?

You would be much better off installing sarge (the latest stable
release); woody was released three years ago.  Sarge was released last
month and has a much slicker install.

Get the 'netinst' iso and burn it to disk, boot from it and you are on
your way.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

Regards

Clive