Re: preseeding and environment overrides

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):

> I'd like to at least explore the idea. It may be that the
> simplifications of removing a stage from the install process outweigh
> those problems. We'd no longer need to worry about the booted system
> missing a root password with daemons running, or about propigating
> mirror/cd selection/debconf priority to base-config, or about setting up
> a framebuffer console for base-config to run in. Also base-config would
> become more obviously a part of d-i and somewhat easier to test and so
> hopefully get more people working on it.

As shadow package maintainer, I'd be happy to contribute on that, of
course. I know Colin did work on a udeb in Ubuntu for shadow with that
idea in mind (do you actually use it, Colin?).

We're now ready for making any change in shadow for d-i needs, so this
is time..:-)