Re: preseeding and environment overrides

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:05:55PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > Gut reaction: command line params should be limited to 1st stage, all else
> > is confusing.
> > Exception: debconf/priority, which is indirect anyway.
> >
> > IMO there's a real difference between using a preseed file and passing
> > command line options.
>
> I think this difference is lessened if the entire system install happens
> in the first stage, and you reboot directly into the debian desktop (or
> whatever). This is a direction I hope to go now with base-config..

Do you think this is a good idea? I've always thought it's good for the
very time-consuming job of installing packages to take place in the
second stage, so that you get to reboot and find out whether your system
actually works as soon as possible; plus it gets us out of cdebconf
earlier so that we don't have to work out how to pass debconf questions
from packages you're installing through to cdebconf.

(Ubuntu has pulled some base-config *questions* back to the first stage,
but not package installation ...)