Re: Packages with "Debian" in templates

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:42:06PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> After all, we are talking about something which is always singular
> (so, no plural problem), has no real gender (so, no male/female
> problem) and is not likely to be influenced by declinations.

Well, in Czech Debian has a male gender and yes, declination hurt us:

"...packaged in Debian / Ubuntu" --> "..zabaleno v Debianu / Ubuntu"
                                                        ^^^
> There are maybe very neat cases where the translation will be tricky,
> but I'm confident in translators imagination to circumvent this..:-)

Oh, yes. The above problem could be solved by rephrasing

"Debian / Ubuntu contains..." -> "Debian / Ubuntu obsahuje..."

Some of the sentences will be quite tricky and the length of sentences
could grow up, some cases will be almost impossible to solve.

(Ubuntu is quite easy, but if we are aiming for really general case
e.g. Fedora adopting our installer, *that* would be fun, because
Fedora has female gender in Czech -- quite different declination).

--
Miroslav Kure