Re: Desktop task broken on !(i386/powerpc)

[Christian Perrier]
> We're dealing here with a quite informal population of people wanting
> to "easily" install Debian and indeed we're probably having hard times
> in figuring out exactly what they might expect.

Yes.  And some of these do not want the congintive strain that options
they do not understand will give them.  All extra options and
flexibility will scare some unskilled users away.  I've seen untrained
users stopp on the first screen on the woody installer (you know, the
large text block explaining that all you need to do to continue is
press [ENTER]), and sit down and read it for several minutes trying to
understand what it said.  For these, all extra options increase their
confusion, and make them more insecure during the installation
process.

For these, we should hide as much complexity and flexibility as
possible.

I normally ask people to imagine their religions teacher doing the
install.  It is normally a little easier to imagine than Bob User, as
Bob User is different for all users.  My religions teacher was not
very technically skilled.  Your grandmother might work as well, when
you try to imagine how an unskilled user will react to questions and
options.

How you you explain the difference of KDE and Gnome to your
grandmother, in a way to allow her to make an informed choice between
them?  In tasksel, you got around 40 characters to do it. :)