Re: Debian installer: partman-prep

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 08:23:30AM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:

> Am 03.01.2005 um 06:51 schrieb Christian Perrier:
>
> >(CC'ing you just to be sure you get this, but please answer only in
> >the list)
> >
> >Quoting Cajus Pollmeier (cajus@naasa.net):
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I've prepared a partman-prep package which should add support for PPC
> >>PReP
> >>boot partitions to the installer. The package has been forked from
> >>partman-palo.
> >

> >About the package's templates:
> >
> >Is the spelling of "PReP" really needing to be with this mix of upper
> >and lowercase? Up to now, we have avoided these constructions as they
> >too much give the impression of some HacKerZ playing his game...:-)
>
> The spelling is taken from the partition type list saved in fdisk, it
> has nothing
> to do with hacker like spelling of words.

It seems to be indeed the correct spelling of it, probably defined like that
by motorola and IBM back then. not sure what PReP exactly stands for, but i
guess that it is Powerpc Reference Plateform or somethign such, and that the e
is the second letter of the acronym thingy.

> >However, if this is really how the thing is spelled everywhere, we
> >will have to leave it as is.
> >
> >You also mention "PPC PReP" everywhere. PPC is abviously for PowerPC,
> >so I'd rather see the full word...however, this would make some menu
> >entries too long and they won't fit anymore in the main menu. So,
> >would it be OK to shorten this down to "PReP" only?
>
> The correct spelling like shown in fdisk would be "PPC PReP", but I'm
> really ok with shortening or renaming to a more intuitive string.

That said, i think the trademarked word is PowerPC, ppc is the kernel
shorthand, and maybe also used in fdisk. "PowerPC PReP" should be the right
way to describe it. I think IBM has some powerpc spelling guide somewhere, not
sure.

> >Finally, one template mention the partition must be in the first "8
> >Mb". I guess these are indeeed megaBYTES...so this should rather be
> >"8MB".
>
> I've just copied stuff from partman-palo and focused to functionality
> first.

Cajus, does this indeed work for you ? And how exactly does one make use of
the partman-prep stuff ?

> Sure, this has to be fixed ;-)

Hehe.

Friendly,