RE: Device name discrepancies

Thanks Ross. I'd like to elaborate on the two name changes I mentioned.

1) hd0 vs. hd1 - during the whole install hd1 is the drive used for
/boot and / partitions and grub menu.lst which BTW is good :-). GRUB
menu.lst, remapping in it, and device.map correspond to d-I names
however new kernel device names are exchanged, i.e., hd0 becomes hd1 and
hd1 becomes hd0. I had to remove map command and uniformly replace hd1
with hd0. BTW I use windows XP boot to switch to GRUB. I do not think it
should matter though.

2) d-I names as eth0 and eth1 ieee1394 and then Broadcom on-board NIC as
eth2, loads tg3, and configures IP properly (static IP address). The NIC
works (I checked on alt term) and everything is OK until it gets to apt
configuration where it cannot read from the mirror (arizona...). I had
to disable loading ieee1394 by specifying rubbish as driver parameters
(I did not know any better way) and thereby making Broadcom NIC the only
one and eth0 of course. Everything went smoothly. Of course I made
expert install.

Sorry if this is not the right place to file this report and please feel
free to forward it appropriately.

Anyway, have wonderful holidays,
Latchezar Dimitrov