Debian, IBM x306 and RAID-1

Hello Debian users

Some time ago, I wrote an installation report because of my problems with the RAID controller in the IBM x306 server. first, the controller wasn't recognized at all, then (with a nightly build as well as with Etch beta 1 installer) it is recognized, but I see both disks instead of my configured RAID-1 (configured on the controller).

see also http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=333385

Later on, I tried to set the server up with a software RAID. the whole installation went fine, but during the first boot, debian can't find or read the root-partition because it's a software RAID. arghh!

Now, I'm just at the point where I can't believe, that I need to install Windows or one of the two IBM-supported enterprise-linux-flavors to get a working server with RAID-1!!!

Is this really true??? can any debian-expert out there help to solve my problems???

thanks a lot
stefan