Re: Creating a Debian Sarge Install disk with kernel version 2.6.14

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:08:48PM +0000, Andrew Thornton wrote:
> Hi!
>   I'm having lot's of trouble creating a debian install disk with
> kernel 2.6.14 for sarge.
>
> My first attempt involved using sarge's versions of
> linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6 and debian-installer. However,
> linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6 fails for 2.6.14. I then tried using an
> unstable debian and however the debian-installer can't create stable
> install images.
>
> My final (hack!) was to use the unstable box to create the kernel udebs,
> then copy them over to the stable box for the debian installer. All
> appeared to work but when I loaded the CD, I get a kernel panic:
>
> <snip/>
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard isa0060/serio0
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> VFS: Cannot open root device "rd/0" or unknown-block (0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFSL Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block (0,0)
>
> This was from a cd image created from build_monolithic_2.6.
>
> Got any ideas how to do this? I am wrong to be using monolithic_2.6?
>
> thanks,
> andy

My understanding, which is not authoritative, is that 2.6.12 is the
last kernel that included support for devfs.  A bunch of the debian
tools, including particularly those generating initrds, rely on devfs.

The bleeding edge does not have these limitations.  I got an installer
with a 2.6.14 kernel by using the daily build of the etch installer.
Note that etch beta 1 is based on 2.6.12, so if you want a 2.6.14
kernel you need something more recent.  You might consider trying
that, though it would take you off of sarge.  I believe that the
installer could be made to install a sarge system, however.

Ross