Re: Interaction of EVMS and installer

Alle 21:09, lunedì 5 dicembre 2005, Lennart Sorensen ha scritto:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 04:55:29PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I would like all the disks on my system to managed by evms.  Most will
> > probably by reiser file system.

> > Any advice about how to proceed?

There is not, nor is planned for now, a version of debian installer that
supports installing using evms.

So in order to switch to evms (feel free to polish and contribute to [1])
- boot with a live cd with evms support or in which it could be installed like
ubuntu/kubuntu/knoppix live cds.
- Launch a evms client like evmsgui, perform your save.
- chroot on your debian root and
- install sid evms, evms-gui and initramfs-tools (soon also yaird will support
it, in 0.12 fyi).
- Change fstab according,
- give update-grub. (grub seems easier than lilo on evms volumes, no need to
reinstall it, but change /boot/grub/menu.conf and )
- echo >> /etc/kernel.img "ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs"
- reboot on your evms system, enjoy sudo evmsgui (if all went right :-) )

> I wish I did.  Everytime I tried to play with evms it gave useless
> meaningless (to me) error messages giving no clue as to what I was
> missing so I gave up on it.

It happened to me too twice in the past before reaching the light, go on and
suffer running on the bleeding edge of information technology :-) ...

... or just file a bug report against evms and/or debian-installer, or do
both!

Or help bringing evms support to d-i.

Many choices.

> > P.S. The reason I'm interested in making all my "partitions" under
> > EVMS is that snapshotting doesn't work properly otherwise, as I've
> > discovered on my current system.

Really strange, maybe its easier too look at this, file a bug against lvm2
package.

> Hmm, I never have tried snapshots so far, since I haven't needed them,
> so no idea how LVM2 does those.  evms looks neat but seems like too much
> work to get integrated with the system since it isn't a standard part of
> the kernel.

The 2.6 kernels in debian all supports evms, they do not need a patch anymore
for normal use.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/EVMS

--
ESC:wq