Re: Idea for changing the text and possibly colours of graphical d-i

On Sunday 04 December 2005 18:56, Eduardo Silva wrote:
> > - large fonts may not work well for all languages;
> Oh? Damn. You mean, they would looked pixelized and
> crappy? Another reason for me to try to find a smaller
> size.

No. Just that I don't know how 24pt will look in completely different
scripts like Arabic or Indic scripts. Just something to keep in mind and
check with translators when trying things.
Also, for Chinese and Japanese we currently use a bitmapped font for which
only a few sizes are available. But given the recent work by Kenshi, we
may switch back to TTF for those.

> The lowest resolution that it will support is 640x480?

Yes, either 640x480 or maybe 600x800 after all. I would think that any
system "heavy" enough for g-i will support at least 600x800. Most will
probably start in higher resolutions by default.
Comments anybody?

> A possible way out of this would be to create a fixed
> sized window of 640x480, create the design to fit
> perfectly in that size, and all different and higher
> resolutions would keep showing this 640x480 window,
> with black as a background.

Yes, that is one (and possibly the simplest) solution.

> Nevertheless, having one inteligent design which
> adapts itself and looks good in all resolutions is a
> cool enough thing to try to achieve :).

Yes, definitely.

> Last question, with the diference of resolutions,
> would any other thing of the interface change? The
> banner, the icons, the text size? Or probably just the
> banner?

If we go for a dynamic resolution I suspect we may need different versions
of images and different text sizes. We'd have to see how it looks first I
guess and it will probably require some intelligent configuration work. I
suspect there are solutions for this though as others must have come
across this too.

The banner could probably be resolved by using one fixed size image on a
background with the same base color as the banner that "fills up" the
remaining area.