Re: installing packages within a progress bar, redux

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:54:27AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Thanks. We talked a bit last night about where this should go, and it
> > only really occurred to me afterwards that I think it would make more
> > sense to put it in debconf (and maybe call it debconf-apt-progress) than
> > to create a separate package for it. Would that be reasonable?
>
> There are a lot of reasons to put it in debconf, I agree. One reason not
> to is the cdebconf transition, but I guess we'd have to deal with that
> for lots of other stuff in debconf if it ever happens. So if you want to
> put it in debconf, that's ok with me.

Right. For cdebconf we might have to rewrite it (again) in C ... but
that would be relatively straightforward if need be.

> I thought of one wrinkle that needs to be dealt with. For d-i we will
> want to be able to redirect the traditional apt/dpkg/postinst textual
> output to the syslog. I think your current code /dev/nulls it, and the
> only way I can think to get it out is using another FD or something.

At the moment actually I just pass stderr through, and at the moment in
Ubuntu it lands in /var/log/base-config-pkgsel.log which is tailed on
tty4. This is suboptimal for various reasons (not least that the tail
process never gets cleaned up ...)

Yes, some kind of command-line switch is probably best here.