Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

On Friday 02 December 2005 20:23, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Hmm, why not having a look at installer/build/needed_characters? It
> contains files, one per language, with all characters needed to
> display them.

We'll still need to map what language will be covered by which font.
Will this also work for fonts needing combining characters.

> So, part of the information you're actually seeking for seems to be
> here.

Maybe it will be easier to first do a rough reduction based on ranges,
mainly to see how this works out and extend this later to only include
needed characters.

I'm somewhat afraid that reducing TTF files could also "reduce" away
metadata (like kerning tables) that are in the TTF file if the tool used
to do the reduction happens not to support the metadata. The fairly big
reduction Davide saw after removing only a few characters could indicate
something like that.