Re: installing packages within a progress bar, redux

Colin Watson wrote:
> Thanks. We talked a bit last night about where this should go, and it
> only really occurred to me afterwards that I think it would make more
> sense to put it in debconf (and maybe call it debconf-apt-progress) than
> to create a separate package for it. Would that be reasonable?

There are a lot of reasons to put it in debconf, I agree. One reason not
to is the cdebconf transition, but I guess we'd have to deal with that
for lots of other stuff in debconf if it ever happens. So if you want to
put it in debconf, that's ok with me.

I thought of one wrinkle that needs to be dealt with. For d-i we will
want to be able to redirect the traditional apt/dpkg/postinst textual
output to the syslog. I think your current code /dev/nulls it, and the
only way I can think to get it out is using another FD or something.
There could be another command line switch specifying a FD to redirect
that output to.

--
see shy jo