Re: console-data: Time to request transition to testing and upload a new version?

On Saturday 26 November 2005 16:08, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Alastair McKinstry (mckinstry@computer.org):
> > There are a lot of translations pending; Shall I roll these into a
> > new release and release to unstable first? I can do that today.
>
> This was my suggestion but getting an ACK from the D-I team so that
> we're sure of not breaking testing installs would be better.

Hmm. Sounds like Christian is suggesting to first let current unstable
version migrate to testing before new upload while Alastair is suggesting
to first upload and then migrate to testing only when new version is old
enough.

From a d-i release viewpoint, I don't really care. As console-data stuff
is always included in initrd, there's no chance of breaking beta1 and
beta2 is still far enough away.

There really is not much need to coordinate anyway unless there are
changes that are expected to or could maybe break d-i (require
modifications in kbd-chooser).

I guess a new console-data in theory could also break 2nd stage for
individual languages, but personally I'm a little less concerned about
that.

I would like to raise something else that's a leftover from Sarge...
We currently have the following descriptions (IIRC these come from
console-data):
at  - PC-style (AT or PS-2 connector keyboard)
usb - USB keyboard

These descriptions are very misleading:
- with 2.6 kernels "at" is used for every architecture and for any type of
  keyboard
- "usb" is not really correct as most USB-keyboards are "at" compatible;
  the correct identification would be USB-MAC or something like that.

Also, IIRC some usb-mac keyboard layouts are really at layouts?

My question is: is it worth fixing these issues, or should we wait for the
new keyboard (?) package?

Cheers,
Frans