Re: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer

On Sunday 13 November 2005 22:45, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 08:28:47PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 November 2005 08:16, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > That is less than 6MB of stuff, hardly "heavy". A single kernel
> > > flavour is double that for example.
> >
> > That is exactly why we include only one kernel image on i386 netinst
> > CD images.
>
> Well, so what ? I mean, the netinst on powerpc is around 240MB or so,
> no, what is 8MB more or less ? The only moment this would be of
> consequence would be if this space would be sorely missed in filling up
> the first CD, but i guess there are good chances that those packages
> are already on it, no ?

In that case the netinst for ppc is not a good reference. The i386 netinst
is targeted to be 110MB in order to fit on a 128MB USB stick together
with the hd-media initrd. It is a constant struggle to keep it at that
size. I hope you agree that 6MB / 110MB is a significant ratio.
Also consider download size for installation methods that install the base
system over the network.

Besides that there is the argument of not unnecessarily bloating the base
system. This should IMO be a design goal for the initrd tools.

Please keep d-i/debian as a whole in mind and not just the ppc netinst.

> I mean, i definitively said we provide a sane default at high priority,
> and let the user chose at medium priority, for expert installs, or is
> this second case also something where choice needs to be avoided as
> much as possible ?

It should be avoided unless it has a real added value for the user and the
user can be expected to be able to make the choice. If the automatic
selection is good, then there is no need to add questions.