Re: Automated udeb build [was: ancient ieee80211/ipw2200 drivers in recent kernel (2.6.14)]

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 12:07:25AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > Indeed, we are just repackaging these modules, nothing arch-specific there. I
> > would like to have Colin's comment, since he told me he already did that.
>
> There are architecture specific issues, and workarounds were implemented
> as best as possible back when I was using this to build all kernel
> module udebs for all supported d-i architectures. See the kernel-wedge
> documentation for SOURCEDIR.

I mean, well, there are arch specific stuff, but we just unpack the
linux-image kernel .debs and put the stuff inside the .udebs, the only thing
remotely arch-dep i see, even reading the kernel-wedge documentation is the
depmod run. I am not sure how arch-dep depmod really is though, but this could
be solved by running depmod at .deb generation time, and somewhere include
this depmod info in the official packages. Or fix depmod to be able to run
cross-arch or something, since there is nothing magical i believe in the way
the dependency tree is created, and all the info should be in the modules.

Mmm, need to investigate this, thanks Joeyh for providing this insight.

/me would still feel more confortable building all these .udebs from the main
kernel packages, as the ubuntu guys do.

Friendly,

Sven Luther