Re: a blindunfriendly Sarge installer problem

Hi,

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:36:26 +0100, Osvaldo wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 07:13:19PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > I've just tried it (rc3 of 2005/03/05), and it almost works (it doesn't
> > seem that the partition manager correctly asks the kernel to reload the
> > partition table: I had to run fdisk /dev/ide/... then w, and I had
> > troubles with exim).
>
> Isn't it dangerous for other existing systems on your disk if you already
> have troubles before beginning?

As I already said, this happened because I was already tinkering with
the disk. Else it works as expected.

> I really doesn't understand why after I asked / suggested for more thant 3
> or 4 times a totally other option than the one using boot flops, we are
> still talking about floppydisks.

Because it's the last step before putting this on the usual cd. Of
course Mario never considered floppies to be the final solution. The
access floppy is just a temporary good way to integrate things in the
debian installer without breaking it by putting things on the usual cd.

>From what I could understand, what access floppy basically uses is
- a speakup-enabled kernel
- brltty-udeb base-installed

I don't know whether it is now considered ok to include them on the main
cd, but it seems ready to be: the speakup kernel just needs to be added
to the list of kernels, and brltty-udeb base-installed. Then at the
syslinux prompt you would type

linuxspeakup brltty=xx,yy,zz

> Btw, what's the kernel booted? 2.4 I suppose?

A speakup-enabled 2.4 kernel yes. I guess adding a 2.6 kernel will be
possible on the usual cd (much less space constraint).

> Must I understand that it is impossible to find a solution based on
> passing params at boot like for Mandriva?

That's _precisely_ what it is preparing.

> > People should note that not owning a braille device indeed prevents them
> > from checking that screen reading works, but it does _not_ prevent them
> > from checking that the installation process works, so people should try
> > access floppies too (like I just did).
>
> I really not understand why my sighted partner have a nice Debian
> installer who make
> etc...

Please stop whining. Please understand that, as usual with
accessibility, the problem is not people's willingness, but mostly lack
of hardware and information to actually achieve accessibility in the
debian installer. Whining just leads nowhere.

Regards,
Samuel