x86 kernel flavours was: 2.6.14-1 in incoming, status and future

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:46:30 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 02:36:53PM +0200, Marco Amadori wrote:

> As said, i think that the only way to solve this for debian-installer would be
> to follow up with my plan, and mandate a policy of all packaged modules to
> provide .debs and .udebs for all official kernel flavours.

Speaking of kernel flavours (we weren't, but what the hey); is the plan
still to reduce all of the x86 flavours down to two: generic x86 and
generic x86-smp?

I can recall quite a number of incident where i've moved a disk from an
athlon k6 to k7 (and vice versa) and found random failures until I picked
the right kernel package.  It'd be nice if the choice I had to make was do
I have multiple CPUs or not (actually, I'm not even sure why that is
necessary -- why not build SMP all the time?).

Cheers,
Anand