Re: 2.6.14-1 in incoming, status and future

Marco Amadori <marco.amadori@gmail.com> writes:

> Alle 14:18, sabato 29 ottobre 2005, hai scritto:
>> Marco Amadori <marco.amadori@gmail.com> writes:
>> > If there is also a proposal that at install time scans through external
>> > modules to find those needed by the host system I will be happier :-)
>>
>> That can be one area where discover2 can work. It has some good and
>> flexible enough database for it. We only need to finish the transition
>> from discover1 to it.
>
> So debian-installer could add binaries debs (building with m-a could be a pain
> at this stage) through discover2 for external modules automagically?

In not far future would be possible to teach discover2 to
automatically install the need software to run a specific
hardware. For example a sane backend for scanner or a specific driver
for a printer. In this case, wouldn't be harder to add support to
install available kernel modules when available, right?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116