Re: Probleme bei Installation von Sarge auf PWS 500au

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:34:38 +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:

> I will translate this for you:

> Hard- and softwareproblems with installation on DEC PWS 500au

> Last Debian Linux version Sarge can only be installed under SRM
> and from CD, which runs nearly without problems.

> But: Booting [the newly installed] linux starts in SRM, but this cannot
> detect the existing SCSI adapter Adaptec AHA 2940 UW and so also the
> SCSI disk (the Sarge installation did this correctly!)

Yes, since the sarge installer can only boot from SRM, your boot disk must
be attached to a device that SRM can detect.

However, you installed from CD, which means you must have *some* devices
that SRM can detect.  I assume it's not the Adaptec since I've never seen an
Adaptec that could be accessed from SRM, so it's probably an IDE CD ROM,
yes?

> and with the also existing IDE controller man is unable to boot from
> an IDE disk, too. Also there is no notice about creating a boot
> floppy as an alternative.

If you're able to boot from an IDE CDROM, you should also be able to boot
from an IDE HD on the same controller.  What problems did you have booting
from IDE?

Your other option of course, if you need to boot from the Adaptec for some
reason, would be to load AlphaBIOS and install MILO on the SCSI disk.  I'm
afraid the sarge installer won't help you much for this part, though.