Re: Automounting filesystems in partman

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:57:23PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >   * Don't want FAT, VFAT, NTFS in fstab by default; Debian is not a
> >     desktop distribution and is for people who want to configure things
> >     if they want something other than minimalist defaults (fjp).
>
> Debian _is_ a desktop distribution if the user chooses to install the
> desktop task. In that case the installed system should be the best
> desktop system possible. If they don't choose the desktop task things go
> very differently.
>
> The problem is that the desktop task is not selected before
> partitioning, which is also why partman has to ask if the user wants a
> desktop partition layout.

Well, the question about tasksel could be asked earlier, and depending on the
choice made by the user, different automated installation scheme could be
chosen, and partman could calculate the expected installed size and block the
user from creating a root partition which will be too small  for the final
install or something such.

I don't mean this is the best solution or that it will not be difficult to
split tasksel this way, but it is someting we should keep in mind.

Also, another nice feature would be the ability to see the content of a
partition in order to help the user to make the decision of which partition to
mount or not. This could also be useful when deciding which partition to
scratch and reinstall :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther