Re: running netcfg a second time

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 12:27:50PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Currently it is not possible to set a static address
> > to network booted systems. ( or you have to make
> > an initrd with preseed file for each seperate system AFAIK )
>
> Eh? Yes it is possible to do that. The machine's firmwre gets a dhcp
> lease at boot, then d-i runs, then netcfg runs and you have the option
> of configuring a static network at that point (in expert mode).

Yes, that's true.

I should have told more clearly that full automatic installation
the reason is for running netcfg a second time.

The first run of netcfg does configure the network,
which makes fetching a preseed file from the net possible.

In the preseed.cfg is this
 d-i netcfg/disable_dhcp boolean true
 d-i netcfg/get_ipaddress string 192.168.1.42
 d-i netcfg/get_netmask string 255.255.255.0
 d-i netcfg/get_gateway string 192.168.1.1
 d-i netcfg/get_nameservers string 192.168.1.1
 d-i netcfg/confirm_static boolean true
information present, which will be set by preseed-network.

The second time that netcfg runs, it transforms the preseed data
into network configuration files, without manual intervention ...

GSt