Re: GTK frontend updated, please test unofficial miniiso

On 10/26/05, Attilio Fiandrotti <fiandro@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> Hi

Hello

> https://debian.polito.it/downloads/mini.iso

> base sytem install fails because of missing /target/<something> file : i
> guess this bug is not related to the graphical debian installer, or it is?

you could check by building another type of image (netboot or similar) ;-)

> -In the partman's main menu partitions could be displayed as childs to
> disks drives: this can be obtained by hacking a bit the frontend in
> order not to have to change the partman templates

For this exact reason (the interface must know the backend) debconf's
specifications should be changed to support buffered questions.
JoeyH, any chance of that happening?

> -you can'tselect in lists by typing the first letter (as in newt
> frontend) on GTKDFB (any version, on GTKX works) since this is an
> unimplemented feature in GTKDFB (any version)
> (Gdk-DirectFB-WARNING **: gdk_display_request_selection_notification
> Unimplemented function)

this is a major setback related to what the newt frontend offers.

> -Testing on archs different from i386 : ATM this is the only arch where
> miniiso images are knows to be built correctly.
> EddyP is known to have made some experiments on PPC but it seems he's
> stuck with segfaults that prevent the frontend from working properly.

Well, actually I managed to build an image without libary reduction
but it presented the flashing effect (FB is initiaited and then
crashes). I didn't had time to investigate in this matter to see what
happened (I ran the installer from the tmp directory of the build and
my system blocked - otoh, the mouse pointer was displayed and it moved
one pixel)

Hopefully Sven will help with this matter and we will manage to make
it work, although I know that he had ome problems with the size of the
initrd image on Pegasos.

> -       label_string = malloc(strlen(q_get_description(q)) + 8 );
[..]
> -       label_string = malloc(strlen(q_get_description(q)) + 8 );
[..]
>         hpadbox = gtk_hbox_new (FALSE, 5);
[..]
> -       label_string = malloc(strlen(q_get_description(q)) + 8 );
[..]
> -       label_string = malloc(strlen(q_get_description(q)) + 8 );
[..]
> -       label_string = malloc(strlen(q_get_description(q)) + 8 );
[..]
>         vpadbox = gtk_vbox_new (FALSE, 5);
[..]
>         hpadbox = gtk_hbox_new (FALSE, 5);
[..]
>         hpadbox = gtk_hbox_new (FALSE, 5);

I was always (since I grew some experience in programming) of the
oppinion that magic numbers are  a thing to avoid as much possible.
Use #defines instead, it will make the code more lisible.

--
Regards,
EddyP