Re: Usability issues for the GTK graphical frontend, categorized and updated list

Hi Attilio,

On Monday 24 October 2005 13:14, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> here is a PNG of how the frontend would look if extended question
> decriptions are displayed above question descriptions: this way the GTK
> frontend is much more NEWT-like and also multiple questions are nicely
> displayed the same way.

Lots of usability improvements in this version, but still some important
problems IMO.

- Please, please put the title for the progress bar above it!

- I don't really like the display of the description in bold.
It is not very nice typographically (too much shouting) and also not all
fonts have a bold variant. I think normal text would be better,
especially as the question itself is in a different background and thus
easy to distinguish.

- You currently do not display the title for templates.
IMO it would be good to do that. Then you would get:
   **Choose language**
   Please choose the language used for the installation process. This
   language will be the default language for the final system.

   *Choose a language:*
   <selection list>

I think making the title bold and the header for the question italic would
work OK. The description and selection could then stay normal.

Compare:
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/localechooser_newt.png
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/localechooser_gtk.png

I like the suggestions Eduardo has been making about this, but for the
short run IMO my suggestion above would be better. Implementation of
Eduardo's proposals will probably be easier with a new GTK.

- The heading for "note" templates is not displayed in the correct place.
Compare "Help on partitioning" in these 2 screenshots:
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/partman-help_newt.png
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/partman-help_gtk.png

> Still the progressbar has to be moved to a more appropriate place
> (popup window?).

This is not high priority IMO.

> Since the main screen, after removing the helpbox and static
> progressbar, will have to display a smaller number of elements at the
> same time then the GTK FE could operate using a 640x480 resolution
> rather than the current 800x600.

Yes. Also, with the logo moved to the top and the textareas gone, the text
is getting too wide to read easily. We should do something about that,
for example by defining a left and right margins (or maximum width for
text area) for higher resolutions.

> Here is also provided a miniiso image to allow you for usability
> testing https://debian.polito.it/downloads/mini.iso

Thanks. I've used that for testing :-)

> Above the diffs from SVN of experimental sourcecode: this should give
> you an idea of how much gtk.c has been simplified (also a couple of
> variables have been removed from cdebconf_gtk.h).

Please use 'diff -u' if you send diffs; that makes them a lot easier to
read.

Cheers,
FJP