Re: [patch] Defining apt sources using codename instead of suite

Frans Pop wrote:
> Here are proposed patches for choose-mirror, cdrom-detect and iso-scan
> that determine the codename that goes with the suite that will be
> installed.
>
> The idea is, when creating lines for /target/etc/apt/sources.list, to
> check if mirror/codename is set and, if it is, to use that instead of
> mirror/suite (as discussed after the release of Sarge).
>
> There is some code duplication in choose-mirror.c, but my C skills are not
> sufficient to solve that.

Problem is that the duplicated code calls wget, so this will slow down
every networked install as it downloads the Release file for a second
time. I recently had to do a lot of refactoring in choose-mirror since
Sylvain's changes made it run wget redundantly. I'd rather not have to
go in and do that yet again.

There is also existing code in base-installer to determine the
codename, based on the suite. Yes, it downloads the Release file yet
again.

If you look at all uses of mirror/suite throughout d-i, it's used in:
  - choose-mirror, cdrom-detect, iso-scan populate it
  - base-installer, only to get the codename for debootstrap
  - cdrom-retriever, for finding the Release and Packages files.
  - net-retriever, for downloading Packages and Release files (yes, the
    Release file is downloaded yet again here, this time for gpg
    checking (seems this could move to choose-mirror))
  - apt-setup (base-config and new udebs), for apt lines

So if choose-mirror, cdrom-detect, and iso-scan only stored the
codename, then base-installer could be simplified, net-retriever, and
cdrom-retriever could use it without other changes (the codename links
would become required on CDs and mirrors but AFAIK they're already
there), and of course apt-setup would change to using the codename in
sources.list. Nothing needs the suite if you switch to using only
codenames.

--
see shy jo, who still thinks that using the codename in sources.list is a
            bad idea, but is willing to be overruled as long as the people