Re: Better banners.

--- Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> Thanks Eduardo,
>
> In general having release names in logos is always a
> difficult discussion as it means you need to update
> them
> when a new release comes around...
> The advantage of course, if done correctly, is that
> users
> can see at a glance what they are working with.

As far as the image goes, it is very easy to change
the text in a gimp .xcf image.  By giving the GIMP
.xcf file, you will be able to easily change the
release name, without having to resort to me. From
there, "Save a Copy" as a .png file.

I just made a website with the 4 banners, and the .xcf
file at:
http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/d-i_gtk.html

> There is one other problem with the two versions you
> have
> sent now. It is not that easy to switch between
> logos at
> the moment of release. It is not just a question of
> putting
> the right one on the right CD as the logo needs to
> be in the
> initrd, not just on the CD and in general.
> With the way the logo is included now (from the
> rootskel-gtk
> udeb), it is not really possible. We could probably
> do this
> from the Makefile but it needs some careful thought.

Ah, this is a problem.

[...]
> A better option
> would
> probably be to put "GNU/Linux" on it's own.
>
> In the end I wonder if it would not be better to go
> with
> just "Debian GNU/Linux", but I'd like to see what
> others
> think about this.

To be honest, I thought about having the release names
and versions on the red bar, because it made the red
bar fullfill some use.
As it was before, it was just a mostly empty red bar.
Having names for the version of d-i the user is
currently trying out, would give the bar an
informational function, as well as an esthetic one, as
it looks pretty:)
It would also unify and diferentiate to the eye the
different "snapshots" and beta releases of d-i.

For the future beta releases of etch, and the final
release of etch something like this would also be
nice, but by then we would have a better banner, which
is visually integrated with the d-i interface.

So, yeah, I though it was easy to switch banners in
the last minute, but if it is not so, and demands some
amount of work, it's not up to me to decide if it's
worth it or not.

[...]
> Hmm. Not awfully consistent... I would either go for
> the color
> of the swirl or use the different colors in the same
> way.
Yes, I use the swirl red (in these new banners)!

Eduardo

OH MY ... http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/index.html

http://farechase.yahoo.com