Re: Better banners.

Thanks Eduardo,

In general having release names in logos is always a
difficult discussion as it means you need to update them
when a new release comes around...
The advantage of course, if done correctly, is that users
can see at a glance what they are working with.

There is one other problem with the two versions you have
sent now. It is not that easy to switch between logos at
the moment of release. It is not just a question of putting
the right one on the right CD as the logo needs to be in the
initrd, not just on the CD and in general.
With the way the logo is included now (from the rootskel-gtk
udeb), it is not really possible. We could probably do this
from the Makefile but it needs some careful thought.

On Saturday 22 October 2005 01:11, Eduardo Silva wrote:
> another one for the future beta 1 release of d-i (If I
> don't change my mind until then. Just kidding, the
> idea here is to keep some consistency between now and
> beta 1 release):
> http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/debian-beta1.png

Hmm. There's really no such thing as an Etch Beta 1,
but only a D-I beta 1.
So having a text "Debian Installer beta 1 for Etch"
would be more accurate.

One other nitpick. "GNU/Linux Debian" is not really a
known term. It always is "Debian GNU/Linux". I see you
wanted to combine that with Debian Installer, but I don't
think it really works this way. A better option would
probably be to put "GNU/Linux" on it's own.

In the end I wonder if it would not be better to go with
just "Debian GNU/Linux", but I'd like to see what others
think about this.

> I change the banner color to a brighter/pinker red,
> more close to debian's logo red. You see, I did the
> previous banners and interfaces on a laptop, and the
> color seemed to me to be much reder. On the monitor
> screen, they looked like orange. I can always change
> them back, of course, but this one has got more
> "punch"! Like, "Hell, yeah, I'm debian and I'm proud
> of it!"

Yeah, I was wondering about the color of the previous version.
Why not just pick the color of the official logo and use that?

The Gimp tells me the color of the swirl is #c70036.
The dot over the i in Debian is #d70751.

The Debian navigation bar on the website is #DF0451.

Hmm. Not awfully consistent... I would either go for the color
of the swirl or use the different colors in the same way.

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. Are you subscribed to the list? I think you are, but not sure.