Re: Shortcut for debian-installer/framebuffer=false ?

Marc L. de Bruin wrote:
> label meaculpa
>         kernel debian-installer/i386/2.6/linux
>         append vga=normal initrd=debian-installer/i386/2.6/initrd.gz
> ramdisk_size=10934 root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall rw
> languagechooser/language-name=English countrychooser/shortlist=US
> DEBCONF_PRIORITY=critical preseed/url=http://192.168.65.1/symon/stable.cfg
>
> However, VMware is rather slow with framebuffering, so I thought to
> change "vga=normal" with "debian-installer/framebuffer=false". That
> brought the debian-installer to a halt because the "preseed/url" got
> truncated due to the maximum length of the the command line (255 chars I
> guess). I read somewhere that "video=vga16:off" should work but at least
> on VMware it doesn't.
>
> Is there an abbreviated form like "d-i/fb=f" I could use? Or some other
> clever way to work arround the 255 chars command line length maximum? At
> least 2.6.8 has this limitation IIRC.

The devfs=mount,dall can be removed.

Daily builds of the installer let you replace
languagechooser/language-name=English countrychooser/shortlist=US" with
"debian-installer/locale=en_US".

We're not very far away from an installer that can automatically find a
preseed file to use based on a specially configured dhcp server. I think
that'll be the final solution to these problems.

--
see shy jo