[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#153691: marked as done (www.debian.org: release notes: "recommended method of upgrading" said of 2 methods)

Your message dated Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:55:11 -0400
with message-id <20051013215511.GA30512@kitenet.net>
and subject line closing bugs in the old install-doc package
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere.  Please contact me immediately.)

Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)

Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 20 Jul 2002 21:32:14 +0000
>From tgs@finbar.dyndns.org Sat Jul 20 16:32:14 2002
Return-path: <tgs@finbar.dyndns.org>
Received: from chcgil2-ar3-4-65-046-108.chcgil2.dsl-verizon.net (finbar.dyndns.org) [] 
	by master.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.12 1 (Debian))
	id 17W1pm-0006x4-00; Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:32:14 -0500
Received: by finbar.dyndns.org (Postfix, from userid 1000)
	id CAD6DBF6C; Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:31:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Thomas Smith <tgs@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: www.debian.org: release notes: "recommended method of upgrading" said of 2 methods
X-Mailer: reportbug 1.50
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:31:40 -0500
Message-Id: <20020720213140.CAD6DBF6C@finbar.dyndns.org>
Delivered-To: submit@bugs.debian.org

Package: www.debian.org
Version: N/A; reported 2002-07-20
Severity: normal

Hello, www maintainters

Sections 3.3 and 3.4 of the Woody release notes for i386[1] seem to
contradict one another, which confused my father slightly:

>3.3 Preparing Sources for APT
>   The recommended method of upgrading is to use apt-get directly, as
>   described here. APT's built-in dependency analysis enables smooth
>   upgrades and easy installations.
> ...

>3.4 Upgrading using dselect
>   The recommended method for upgrading to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 is
>   using the package management tool dselect. This tool makes safer
>   decisions about packages than apt-get.
> ...

Which one is more recommended?

Also, the wording in the second paragraph of section 3.3 is slightly

>   You should not be doing any major package upgrades with access
>   methods other than apt in dselect, because those, unlike the apt
>   method, do not do any logical package ordering during the
>   installation, and therefore aren't as reliable.
Perhaps this should be changed to something like

If you are using dselect to perform a major package upgrade, do not use
an access method other than apt, because the other methods do not use
any logical package ordering during the installation, and therefore
aren't reliable.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to send this... there were a couple of
other pseudo-packages (installation and press) that seemed equally



-- System Information
Debian Release: 3.0
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux megafauna 2.4.9 #1 Mon Sep 3 19:16:13 EST 2001 i586
Locale: LANG=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US

Received: (at 153691-done) by bugs.debian.org; 13 Oct 2005 21:55:12 +0000
>From joey@kitenet.net Thu Oct 13 14:55:12 2005
Return-path: <joey@kitenet.net>
Received: from kitenet.net [] (postfix)
	by spohr.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.36 1 (Debian))
	id 1EQB2e-0002SS-00; Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:55:12 -0700
Received: from dragon.kitenet.net (97-148-dial.xtn.net [])
	(using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
	(Client CN "Joey Hess", Issuer "Joey Hess" (verified OK))
	by kitenet.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id EA1A917F72;
	Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:55:09 +0000 (GMT)
Received: by dragon.kitenet.net (Postfix, from userid 1000)
	id CF6D5BFA45; Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:55:11 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:55:11 -0400
From: Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>
To: 137991-done@bugs.debian.org, 148509-done@bugs.debian.org,
	136698-done@bugs.debian.org, 140579-done@bugs.debian.org,
	142420-done@bugs.debian.org, 142881-done@bugs.debian.org,
	162710-done@bugs.debian.org, 176436-done@bugs.debian.org,
	182849-done@bugs.debian.org, 183490-done@bugs.debian.org,
	190003-done@bugs.debian.org, 220917-done@bugs.debian.org,
	226419-done@bugs.debian.org, 226420-done@bugs.debian.org,
	232998-done@bugs.debian.org, 238945-done@bugs.debian.org,
	286149-done@bugs.debian.org, 311325-done@bugs.debian.org,
	162143-done@bugs.debian.org, 159738-done@bugs.debian.org,
	169000-done@bugs.debian.org, 230137-done@bugs.debian.org,
	54003-done@bugs.debian.org, 129790-done@bugs.debian.org,
	147833-done@bugs.debian.org, 149420-done@bugs.debian.org,
	153691-done@bugs.debian.org, 161219-done@bugs.debian.org,
	168666-done@bugs.debian.org, 151176-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: closing bugs in the old install-doc package
Message-ID: <20051013215511.GA30512@kitenet.net>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg=pgp-sha1;
	protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT"
Content-Disposition: inline
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.10i
Delivered-To: 153691-done@bugs.debian.org
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.60-bugs.debian.org_2005_01_02 
	(1.212-2003-09-23-exp) on spohr.debian.org
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-3.0 required=4.0 tests=BAYES_00 autolearn=no 
X-CrossAssassin-Score: 11

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I'm closing these bugs because install-doc was the documentation for the
boot-floppies, which have reached end of life.

Current installation documentation is in the debian-installer-manual
package. If you think that your documentation issue is still not
adequately covered in the sarge installer manual, please reopen your bug
report and reassign it to debian-installer-manual.

see shy jo

Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: Digital signature
Content-Disposition: inline

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)



Reply to: