Re: GTK miniiso - status and instructions for building

Frans Pop wrote:
The frontend now builds and works for me. I've uploaded my last working image to: http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-mini.iso

Issues I've found.
- The logo is no longer displayed after it was moved to /etc.
  In fact, /etc is not the correct place either. I've included the logo
  in the rootskel-gtk udeb (in /usr/share/graphics).
  Attilio: can you make the frontend look for it there?

done and committed to SVN

- The change in country selection is broken. The frontend crashes if I
  select English and then "other" for country: the long list is no longer
  displayed correctly.

this is strange since after checkin out evrything from scratch (udebs, .tgzs, build system ) everything was still working fine even when selecting English and then other. Anyway GTKDFB 2.0.9 previously showed to be affected by some strange behaviour that do not show with GTKDFB 2.7.2. and so while investigating about the crash i temporarily disabled the question handler gtkhandler_select_treeview_store() that causes the crash (this question handler does not crashes with Etch).

Things I've changed.
- Tarballs are now unpacked before library reduction;
ok
- Fixed file permissions in d-i_gtk_fonts.tgz as they broke mklibs (and
  fixed them in other tarballs as well).
ok
- Split d-i_gtk_root.tgz into d-i_gtk_root.tgz and d-i_gtk-directfb.tgz
  because the latter should be dropped when the frontend works with
  Alastair's udeb.

ok
 - There were several dependency problems which I have solved by adding
  "Provides:" in libdirectfb-0.9-22-udeb and fontconfig-udeb; these
  "NMU'ed" versions are in localudebs for now, but the proper solution
  needs to be identified and included in the official packages.

The new tarballs are at: http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/

allright, they work fine with gtk.so compiled on my system

To do:
- remove the logo and /lib/libc* from d-i_gtk_root.tgz;

if i've understood correctly the main reason that prevents us from using Alastair's udeb and that forces us to include inside d-i_gtk_root.tgz files like "lib/libc.so.6" and "lib/libc-2.3.5.so" is that my gtk.so is compiled against my own hand-made libgtk+directfb library. So i suppose gtk.so should be compiled against development files coming from "libgtk+2.0-directfb-udeb-dev" from "stable", right? i've compiled a new gtk.so against that .deb but it doesn't work with libgtk+2.0-directfb0-udeb_2.0.9-5_i386.udeb (stable) nor libgtk+2.0-directfb0-udeb_2.0.9.2-1_i386.udeb (unstable). How should i compile gtk.so? and what udeb should then be used inside the miniiso?

- decide where the stuff that remains in d-i_gtk_root.tgz should go:
  into the rootskel-gtk udeb or into other udebs or can be dropped;

i hope we'll be soon able to remove d-i_gtk_root.tgz from the building system: while doing some exepriments i've noticed that pango's udeb creates /etc/pango.modules.dpkg-new rather than /etc/pango.modules: this makes the frontent crash unless the correct "/etc/pango.modules" is provided by d-i_gtk_root.tgz. Is this a bug in pango udeb, a misconfiguration, a fault of mine or what else?

- get rid of d-i_gtk_frontend.tgz and use the cdebconf-gtk udeb instead
  (built against the correct libs).

As soon as pango issue is solved and gtk.so works happily togheter Alastair's GTKDFB udeb i think we'll be able to get rid of both d-i_gtk_root.tgz and d-i_gtk_directfb.tgz.

The last will also allow easy testing of changes. If you have local changes, just build cdebconf yourself, copy the new udeb to build/localudebs and rebuild the image.

Instructions for building the gtk-miniiso:
* checkout the build system
  $ mkdir gtkminiiso; cd gtkminiiso
  $ svn checkout svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/people/fjp/installer/
  $ cd "installer"
  $ svn checkout svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk/installer/debian/
* run dpkg-checkbuilddeps from the "installer" directory and make sure
  you have them installed
* copy all udebs in http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/localudebs/
  to build/localudebs
* build the image (from the build directory)
  $ fakeroot make gtk-miniiso

just some (maybe silly) notes:
-"make gtk-miniiso" tells me the target "gtk-miniiso" does not exist: i have to type then "make qemu_gtk-miniiso".
-directory "stamps" does not exists after SVN checkout.

Anyway if those instructions are correct i would like to place them in DebianInstallerGUIBuild wiki page.

hope this helps

ciao

Attilio